Are you managing HOA communities? Are you a HOA Manager, Community Association Manager, Property Portfolio Manager or work at a management company specializing in the management of homeowner associations? If yes, you need to read this. Learn by the experience of others; I did. I soak up everything like a sponge.
TIPS FOR HOA COMMUNITY MANAGERS
Don’t get close to just one or two people on the Board. Either keep a distance with all of them or become like a family where everyone is close.
Don’t allow them to argue. Remind them that the table is open for “discussion” and not raising of voices over one another.
Know your documents well. When I first became a HOA Manager, I never read the documents until a problem surfaced. Then, I scrambled just to know the answer to a homeowner’s question. It’s so easy to read the documents and understand them. You need to know each section of every supporting document within your community. You also need to understand the City Code Compliance Enforcement. When I had a violation covered under the “City” code, I would always turn it in to them and allow them to handle it for me. It saved hard feelings within the community.
Once, a homeowner was throwing her dogs droppings over her back fence. It was landing on common area owned and maintained by the City. I went over in middle of the day and took pictures of what had been thrown over the fence, landing in the N.A.O.S. (Natural Area Open Space – this usually applies in the desert when the state wants no changes in the natural deserts.) They are protected areas with heavy fines for any violations.
The homeowner was fined by the City and required to hire a professional to clean up and restore the naturalness of the desert.
Do your documents restrict any Board members being related to one another? Do you even know? You should know. I took over a community with a husband and wife both serving on the Board. They did the common area inspections taking pictures for Board meetings of any items needing attention. Since they were also on the Board, they wrote checks from the Association's checking account to themselves charging the homeowners $8.50 for each picture. The documents only required the signatures of two Board members on checks written from the account.
They turned in duplicate copies to increase their profits. Since one was the Secretary/Treasurer, approval for payment was easily obtained. The manager prior to me didn’t notice the checks on the financial statement, nor did she care.
Some documents state that Board members can’t be compensated or reimbursed for certain items. Do you know what compensation or reimbursements are allowed in each community you manage? You should.
Go visit the chronic complainers within the community. Take paper and let them know you are very concerned about their issues in the Association. Write down all of their complaints. Better than that, address them with the Board. Arrange a meeting with just that particular homeowner and the Board. Make it a hearing if necessary. Have everyone on the Board get to know the character and personality of the cantankerous homeowner. Have the homeowner bond with the Board members hoping he/she will share things in common with a few of them; favorite football team, knitting, grand kids, etc. All the homeowner wants is to know someone cares about his/her feelings.
Explain to homeowners that the Board of Directors did NOT create the CC&Rs. They need to understand that the developer did that when his company was the only Board. The developer and management company usually set the assessment amount by issuing a "Built-Out Budget" that mathematically computes the amount each homeowner will need to pay annually for the HOA assessment fees.
I will add to this blog later, giving you all pointers I can think of. I've helped many women with my seminars and now through my blog, perhaps I can help others on the Internet.
HOA Management is the most stressful job in the world. I almost ran myself in the ground being confident that I could keep up with it all.
Homeowner Associations are hated and sometimes loved. The manager is the pivotal character. Keep your sanity! I do understand what you are going through.
CAI (Community Association Institute) is a great place to learn a lot about managment of homeowner associations and being HOA managers.